So many bloggers are whipping up the charming (and charmingly free) Sorbetto pattern from Colette, that I just couldn’t resist. I dragged my printer out of the closet and printed this adorable little tank top (and the bloomers, too, because why not?).
I laid all the pieces out, and then taped them down after snipping away the excess.
As you can see, our house is more construction zone than office space, so I had to make due with painter’s tape. That’s okay, it worked great because it was re-positionable! Once I had it all laid out, though, I did cut strips of packing tape (seriously, we do not own scotch tape, I think there must be a law against it or something) and secure all the seams down very well.
Then I cut the whole thing out.
And then I took a deeeeeep breath.
Because I wasn’t going to sew this little top up as-is. No, I was going to do my very first Full Bust Adjustment (FBA). Which I was kind of afraid of doing. But what better pattern to try it out on than the world’s easiest tank top?
So here’s how I did it (using Nancy Z’s method, from a few weeks ago).
I rolled out some craft paper and traced around the whole pattern, both pieces.
Then, I took a pin, and put it in shoulder, where the two seam-allowances crossed eachother (I had to draw these in, and remember that the Sorbetto had a 1/4″ SA on the arm holes). I had already figured out that my bust measurement was 2″ more than the size 18 bust measurement, so when I divided that by 4 (4 cut edges) I got .5, so I made a small mark 1/2″ outside the bust-area seam at the very top. Then I pivoted the pattern over to meet that line (keeping the pin in place to act as the pivot), and re-drew the arm hole. Then I did the same thing again, but this time down to the waistline to give me a little more ease in the waist and hip.
It’s funny how scared I was to do this — because it was really easy! It didn’t even mess up the original pattern piece, which is awesome.
I repeated this whole procedure on the back bodice piece, and then I was done!
Tune in next time when I figure out how to re-position the dart on the modified front!
Now, I just need to figure out which fabric I want to use… decisions, decisions….